The muscle shirt

as i walk my journey I realize more and more of my wardrobe is not me. A lot of the items hanging in my closet are covers I put on before i enter an event, before i enter a conversation, before i enter relationships or interactions with anyone. My most used clothing item is my cloak of invisibility. I not sure if it was given to me as a child or I picked it up on my bedroom floor as a toddler but it has not served me well. 
It has kept me from being seen, it has kept me from being known, it has kept me from being "good", in other people's lives.
My son is currently trying on the muscle shirt. He is almost 13 and is surrounded by tweens who are challenging, rough, and sometimes very mean. I see him trying on the muscle shirt of toughness.
 "I am not going to let anyone, walk all over me" he says, with his tone and body language.  
I nod in agreement, no-one should walk all over you but this muscle shirt is not him. He is a sensitive, thoughtful, kind, fun loving soul. The muscle shirt makes him act as if everyone is out to challenge him, out to do him harm.
 He feels the need to show everyone, that he is no-one to be walked upon, so he puffs up his muscles, withdraws from being real and misses out on being the good, he can be, in other people's lives. In his own life.

Comments