gratitude

I recently watched a documentary about a young man who has ms. Within the first year his physical independence was taken from him. Being from Indian decent he traveled to India to bathe in the healing waters and to pray for a miracle. Upon returning home his health continued to decline at a rapid state. Overwhelmed with the lack of power he had over his health he went to a ms support group where he met the love of his life. A girl who was at the support group because her mother suffered from ms. Time passed and the two eventually married and went on to take a trip up to Canada to see his grandma. While the grandma sat between the two, the couple shared with her that they were expecting their first child. The grandma turned to the young lady and said over and over, "I love you, I love you, I love you" barely above a whisper, as if the depth of her love would be taken away with any audible utterance over a whisper. She then turned to her grandson and said, "we traveled to India to pray for a miracle, we prayed that the miracle would be that your health would return but instead your greater miracle is this girl"
I was left humbled and dumbfounded. How often I pray for a miracle. How often I pray for a change. And here it was, the answer to all my prayers washing over me. I am overwhelmed with miracles in my life. My life is a miracle. It is not the lack of miracles in my life that can keep me handicapped but the over abundance of miracles in my life that keep me full.

Got a head start on halloween today, cleaned Sam's room out where I am pretty sure there were dead things living in there. Please just take that in for a moment. Where dead things are living. I mean the environment would have to not only be accommodating to death but so much so that the dead would feel alive in this environment. There was creepy things in every corner, lurking behind every object, ready to pounce and gobble, (or at least hinder one immobile due to the smell). I am not sure what a 12 year old boys room should be like but I am pretty sure that a concoction of dirty socks, candy wrappers, and baseball cups is a much better fit for a haunted house than 12 year old's room.

Emma has been having a hard time falling asleep at night. She lingers on the side of the bunkbed longing for any reason to not go to bed. Tela who is always ready to come up with a solution said, "I know, I sleep on the top bunk and Emma sleep on the bottom" Emma who memorizes every rule that she ever reads quickly responded with, "Tela, you have to be 6 years old to sleep on the top" Tela quickly broke out in tears. Trying to soothe her I told Tela that Emma did not make that rule up but the people who made the bed made that rule. Tela quickly went full throttle with her sobs only to blurt out in-between her tears, "Emma made that rule, not the people, it was Emma" Seeing Tela was not going to be consoled or open to the option that Emma did not make the rule, I kissed my girls goodnight, wished Emma good luck on going to sleep and sped out of the room.

Do you ever go to sleep making sure that your eyes are fixed on a cause for a smile just in case you awake in the night before you need to. That moment when your eyes are closed, your heart is happy and sleep has begun to cover your mind with a blanket. That moment before you completely surrender to the land of the nod, you open your eyes to gaze upon the scene before you. You make sure that if by some horrible chance you open your eyes again before the sun, they fall upon peace. Maybe it is just me but every so often I will make sure that Ian is in my last line of vision before I sleep just to make sure that he is in my first line of vision when I might wake. I suppose that is one of the reasons I never sleep good when he is gone. My midnight line of peace is absent.

On the way to school this morning Emma was telling me of her current animal knowledge, like did you know that porcupines lay eggs?? And that the largest hawk in the world is going extinct and that the world will not be the same without it. Tela, not wanting to miss out on any conversation quickly pipes up, " what about me?" To which Emma replied that if Tela went extinct than the world would not be the same ever again but it would be ok cause she could go to the bathroom without a little girl coming in and being rude.

Comments