If the shoe fits

One of my most embarrassing moments of life was right after we had the ultrasound for Tela. I was absolutely positive, without a doubt, 120 percent sure that I was pregnant with a boy. The thought there was a 50/50 chance it could be a girl did not even come into my mental and emotional equation. Ian and I, along with Leah, Sam, and Emma crowded into the room. Gazing at the screen awaiting for the image to release some of it's static and clearly show us all the perfect image of our little boy. Well, as the technician passed over the baby I kept looking for his parts only to see there were non. My confusion was laid to rest as the technician spoke the words, "Well looks like the boys will be out numbered, you are having a girl". I don't remember anything else that was spoken in that room. I barely remember walking to my car in a complete haze. Finally reaching the front seat I broke down completely. In front of Ian, in front of Leah, Sam and Emma. I sobbed unconsolably, "It's a girl!!! She is not supposed to be a girl, we are supposed to be having a boy!!!" For completely unrelated reasons I felt a connection with most of the woman in China. Oh the shame that I have carried with me over those ridiculous, hormone induced moments. Needless to say despite my heart being set on a boy, Tela has opened a whole new aspect of my heart that I did not know even existed. Almost four years later and I am daily reminded of those shameful emotions in that stupid parking lot, for daily Tela never ceases to make me laugh with her boyish tendencies.
She LOVES batman, spiderman and all the other super heros. They are the only shows she will sit and watch through and through. She had watched every episode of batman on netflex at least five times over and was heart broken and lost when they stopped playing batman. She has since settled for other shows that have batman in it.
We were at the store, walking down an aisle when Tela freezes in her tracks. Mouth open and her hands slightly outstretched. Barely able to utter the words, "Mom, mom....Batman socks!!!!" I followed her gaze to see that she was completely awestruck by a pack of batman underwear (boy underwear). "Tela would you like to buy those?" The mobility in her hands quickly returned as she grasped for the package as if it were the last bottles of drinkable water on earth. Clinging to them until we got home, she then proceeded to strip of every item of clothing to put on not one but two pairs of her batman underwear. Wow were they the best thing ever. They made her run faster, jump higher, smile bigger and she could hardly contain herself to show them to Emma when Emma got home from school. Emma being the wonderful big sister that she is oohed and ahhed over these new wonderful batman underwear. Encouraging Tela to run down the hall showing Emma how much faster she could run. Emma came running back down the hall, "Mom, MOM. YOu will never believe what Tela's underwear have!!!! A POCKET!!!" As if on cue Tela comes strutting out of the hallway with her hand, all but her thumb, tucked into her new found front pocket. Grinning from ear to ear over the humor and the sheer joy written all over Tela. I can't help but share in her wonder and delight. As Tela starts strutting back down the hall Emma leans over to me and says "Seems like a funny place to have a pocket tho".
She will not keep shoes on her. We put shoes on in the house, walk to the car, shoes come off, put the shoes on in the car walk into the store, shoes come off and so our days go. I have had countless adults look at me with concern as the wind is howling and everyone else is bundled up, "oh her feet must be freezing!!!" I just smile and point to the random pair of shoes that I carry in my purse simply stating, "she won't keep shoes on".
My days are filled with her running up to me exclaiming in great excitement, "MOM I have the BEST idea!!!" and then proceed to tell me how she is going to make a booby trap, or surprise party or mud cakes for her babies (who are invisible and love the hose running). Just put a string here and hang it there and this and that.... She is also daily filling my days with, "Mom you have to see this, come on, come on!!" It is quiet impossible to say no to a shoeless ragamuffin who is oozing with excitement over the item I must come and see. Believe me I have tried numerous times.
Well the other day she came running up to me with the usual excitement, "Mom you have to come and see this!!!" I grudgingly followed her down the hall and became a bit concerned when she took a sharp left into the bathroom. I followed her in only to see her proudly standing next to the toilet. Pointing into the pot she exclaims with bursting pride, "It looks like a knife!!! Mom no flush, me show dad, mom, no flush!!!" Not really wanting to keep her poop in the pot all day despite it "looking" like a knife, I suggested we take a picture and send that to dad so we could flush the toilet. She just looked at me like I was genius, "Best idea mom, best idea" she said as she proudly stood next to the toilet so I could get the picture. Quickly followed by, "let me see" (the picture). So yes my little girl proudly sent her dad a picture of her poop because she just knew that he would be so proud of her for making such a wonderful poop that looks like a knife.
This morning I again heard the words, "Mom you have to come and see this!!!" I followed her into her room where she had been playing with her blocks. Proudly pointing down at her creation she exclaimed, "I made a really big booger!!!" Sure enough she had clumped a few blocks at the top and then proceeded to give it a really long tail. As she sits there beaming she begins to tell me how she has really big boogers too and long ones and she eats them all".
She is her own person and a good one at that. I love how her mind works and the love that she offers to us all. She randomly and frequently get into my face, squeezes my cheeks very tightly and squeezes the words through her intensely clenched teeth, "yOu are sooo cute!!"
I am usually so glad to get to spend every day, all day with her. Last night she was telling me how we have to go to the store tomorrow to get a balloon so that she can let it go and it will go up and up in the sky and then a bear will pop it. "Bears are not in the sky" was my reply, completely disregarding the fact that Tela literally wanted to go into a store, purchase a balloon only to walk out of the store and release it into the sky. Tela simply stated, "no they are on the other hill, balloon goes up and up and over the other hill"
Totally makes sense......

Comments

Orange said…
That's our girl...you captured her wonderful spirit well.