Behind closed doors

Over the winter a friend of mine invited me to come to an open house where a local artist lives. It was an opportunity to see her work and admire the creativity that the artist and her husband had put into the house.
It was beautiful and inspiring. The artist not only created beautiful, whimsical paintings but she also hand carved an intricate Noah's Arc with all the animals included. They had transformed the kitchen into a french culinary art. They had transformed the grounds into an enchanting english garden, complete with a gate to the secret garden.
Yet of all the admirable beauty and creativity there was one nook of the house that sung to my soul and has been singing to me ever since. It was her desk where she created her painted magic. There, with a view of some roses out of the window, lay her pencils, her pads of paper, her paint brushes and her joyously used palette. Her easel was resting in the corner, awaiting to be pulled back to the center stage.
The space spoke of the hours of creativity that it has been a part of. The space spoke of quiet energy, of time well spent allowing her body and mind come together and lose themselves in creating.
I have passed this house many time since I walked through it's doors and yet as I passed it yesterday a wave of that corner nook came floating out of the driveway and down the street. It snuck up on me and covered me with a smile of knowing the beautiful secret of what lies behind those doors.
 For you see this house is on a less than fancy street. The house itself tells nothing of the secrets that lie within. You could pass this house and never know all the magic it holds. You could drive down this street and never know the beauty that awaits on the sidelines. It is a beautiful secret that I feel a privilege to be a part of.
Yesterday as this secret spread across my face into a smile I was struck how that we are all like that house. Every one of us holds a beautiful creative corner of their soul. Passing by them you cannot see all the secrets that lie within but once you have been invited in, the secret of their inner beauty will bring a smile to your face every time you pass their path.
I hope that I am never too busy, driving down the street, to miss an invite from someone to see their nook. To admire their art and to appreciate their beauty. I hope that my door always appears open to those around me and I hope that those around me feel comfortable with opening their doors to me. I hope that the secrets of beauty and creativity are shared and do not remain behind closed doors.
On another level I look forward to one day having my own little work bench where I can leave my paints and paint brushes out. Where I can have a creative nook that my mind and body can retreat to, to simply create. Make some whimsical magic of my own. :)

Comments