SpaceBar

Well the spacebar on our keyboard has been out of commission for a few weeks now.
Maybe a month. Not sure if it was the array of markers, pens, and crayon colorings all over the pad. Or the steady stream of dirt and crumbs between each letter. Or the numerous spilt array of beverages that contributed to the space bar and the tab button deciding that they no longer wanted to function under such circumstances but they were broke and broke good. So it has been a while since I have been able to type a coherent sentence on the screen. Yet for the most part the keypad was working and google search has a remarkable way of getting you where you want to go even if you type in biscuitandgravyrecipes or howtogetgumoutofsuperthickcurlyhairthatbordersondreadlocks or howtofixaspacebarutube.
So with most of the keypad working and the help of google search we apparently were in no rush to order a new keypad. Yet as the weeks have flown by and I was thinking how nice it would be to message my brother and maybe even write a post on my blog I took the all of 5 seconds to order a keypad and hooray now we have an all working keypad.
 Well the lack of a space bar and the heartbeat of summer have somehow intertwined in my mind. It has gotten me to thinking how much summer time is that space between words for me. It is the gap, the breath, the pause that makes my sentences coherent, that makes my year coherent.
It is my time to spend days at the beach or by a pool. To be spontaneous and have the joy of serving chicken salad for dinner. It is my time to space out the steady stream of words and make them into days of poetry or a child's story. It is my time to stay outside late with Ian and drink too many beers, as we follow the constellations in the sky. As I make up new constellations and we talk of our up coming camping trip and camping trips of the past. It is my time to let my kids (younger kids) run nakey and everyone can sleep in their undies. It is my time to watch the garden grow. It is my time to take a space from the steady pace of life, and school, and commitments. A break from those consecutive days that read like, wakedressschoolpickupdropoffpracticeshopdinnercleanbedandrepeattomorrow.
It is my most favorite time of the year. I like my spacebar in life. I'm so thankful that it does not break.
I am learning to put more spaces between my words of life through out the year. I am becoming aware of how much I need that and how much healthier I am for purposely seeking and grabbing onto any spaces that are obtainable to me.
Yet maybe because we are in summer and my soul is singing with summer songs, that I find myself sitting here full of gratitude for this natural spacebar.
I went to the beach last week. Just for the day, just to put my feet in the sand, to hear the waves and to send my inner burdens out with the tide. As we were driving home, as we peeked the windmill crest, descending into our home's land. My skin pulsed with song. A salt infused, sun-kissed chorus. It was a beautiful space of time, a space between words, a space that seemed to connect me to the universe.
So with my new ability to place space between words on the computer and my whole being appreciating this current space in time, I hope that everyone else gets to find and experiences their own spaces between the chaos of life and hopefully find a moment that connects them to the universe.
Happy Summer

Comments