Above the roof tops


 In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.
― Lao Tzu

To be completely present..... what a beautiful challenge. 


I love to go above the roof tops. Away from the steady stream of energy that courses through the people, the cars, the houses, the momentum of life.
I remember throughout my travels and stays in various countries, not so much what their streets were like in detail but I can play through a playlist of snapshots in my mind what the view looked like from their rooftops. And here I find myself frequently stealing moments to climb up our back hill and just gaze at the roof tops, the hills, the world below. Watching the smoke escape lazily out of chimneys, the cars, like busy ants, scurrying down the roads, the people attending to their yards. To be above the constant stream of energy and breathe.
I would say breathing in the silence but there is another stream of energy above the roof tops, an energy of birds, bees, and little critters busy with their lives. Today a blue bird got on my nerves because it sounded just like one of my kids. Perched on one of the higher branches of a gorgeous oak tree. Squawking, squeaking, with a chime here and a chime there. No rime or reason to it's noise making other than it wanted attention. It continued with it's un-lyrical song, that consisted of 20 different songs in one verse, until two other blue birds caved in (probably to appease the sheer annoyance of hearing it carry on so) and came to rest on the same tree. Only then did the annoyance maker cease to screech his upheaval.
Upon seeing this unfold before me, I found myself laughing out loud, as I have seen this occurrence on a daily basis in my home. Sam is usually my loudest blue bird, belching out his ghastly songs for attention and his sisters are his usual appeasers. He is my soul that thrives off of constant companionship and is very uneasy, unless someone is there with him. Even if it is going to the bathroom....just until recently and after much vocal opposition from his parents, he would always insist that our dog kept him company in the bathroom.
It was also a healthy reminder to myself, who loves quiet and solitude, that we were made to be in company. We were made to yearn to be acknowledged, appreciated and loved. Some more than others need to be surrounded more frequently and closer  but we all need to be surrounded. We all will find our ways to sing an ungodly song for attention.
I have seen time and time again that if my kids are not getting the attention they need to fill their inner  need of companionship than it comes out in all kinds of song. Non that I can ever seem to sing along with, let alone try to dance to. Their cries for companionship are usually never endearing. Although Emma does have a way of silently sneaking up onto your lap, placing her head between your head and your book, gazing up at your face and then commenting on some unpleasantry she notices about your features. Such as, "you should probably blow your nose, it looks dirty in there" or "it looks like you have a wart (a zit) on your neck, does it hurt?"
What struck me as even crazier during this inner dialogue is that they are all so immensely diverse in their needs but once they start singing, it is always clear what they need. They long for a good strong hug yet shamefully I admit, my first response is to give them a good strong hug with two hands around their neck.
It is yet another way my children daily teach me, for I have always been one with a minimal need for constant companionship. And although I am in constant demand with my children and life, it is a entirely different need that I must meet by just being a companion for them.
How easy it is to get so busy with all the demands of life, keeping body and soul together, that I sadly lose sight of why we are family. It is for those joyous moments of companionship, where nobody had to screech an ungodly song to get someone to be with them. Those treasured moments of just being together, where without words or songs for attention, your heart just knows that you are seen,  acknowledged, appreciated, and oh so loved!
We all need it, at various levels but the need is forever there. So if anyone wants to be a companion to my kids....they are available whenever Ian is home (he is my companion and my song for his attention is by far the least prettiest)

Comments

Orange said…
Me Me Me...I want to keep your children company! How about Sunday after church?