a new awakening of an old flame

I finished a book in under two weeks!!
I know to all the avid book readers, childless women,  single individuals, and anyone else who has the luxury to completely lose themselves in a book and have the time to finish it, this is no big fate but sadly this is the first book I have finished in over 2 years, under a two week time period. Of course I have read my fair share of parenting books, spiritual books, and guidance books but to lose myself in a novel with no other purpose than to enjoy the story.... oh how my heart sighed. As if I finally quenched a dry, patient thirst of my soul.
Through the journey of this book I have started my own backpacking trip. I loaded up my gear and have set time aside each day to sit in the sunshine and read. Climbing over the mountain of laundry, past the river of dirt on my floor, quieting and ignoring the screeches of the kids, and wading through the quicksand of guilt that has so persistently kept me doing everything that must be done and forsaking my longing to lose myself in words.
It is this magical, elegance of words that has awakened an old flame in me. A flame that I contribute entirely to Safta. She loved words. She would taste them and savor them more than food and the most elegant of gowns. I remember her always writing down words, phrases, quotes that "tasted good" or were a "feast". On the night that she passed, I remember looking at her computer table. Surrounded by everyone's face that she loved, who silently gazed back at her through the picture frames. She had out a note pad and pencil. Scrawled across its glorious page were words. Words that had caught her fancy. Simple words, poetic words, a simple capturing of words. She had a whole file in her cabinet, I imagine between her bank statements and her bills, designated to words that tickled her fancy. She would faithfully clip and cherish articles that strung their words in such a manner, that she was drifted away on their vessel of literature. It is this same vessel that has brought me back out to the sea. Floating in sight of the land yet adrift to my own space, thoughts, and imagination.
It never ceases to amaze me how words can transport me. Just a couple words can take me to another place, another dimension. And yet the simplicity of words keeps me grounded and forever curious.
So all in all, I am pleased to announce that my old flame of reading has been awakened and now I cannot wait to start my next book :)

Comments