4 pounds of strawberries

For some reason I feel that I need to begin my post with how tired I have been feeling, how busy my days are, how the constant stream of demands feels drowning most of the time. I don't know why I need to state the given but there it is just the same. I am tired, insanely busy, and barely above the sea level of demands. Perfect time to blog about the Sunday funnies admits my sobering news-days.




After I had dropped Emma off at school Tela and I went to the store to take advantage of the last day of a great sale on strawberries. Usually I go shopping before taking Emma to school because first as soon as Emma goes to school it is Tela's nap time (i.e. mommy time) and second because Emma is a huge help on controlling the chaos that we lovingly call Tela. Well that day we were backed up with time and so into the store we went, armed with a short list and determination to have a positive shopping trip. And we did, much to my pleasant surprise we got in and out and Tela was a delightful good listener, I placed the bags next to Tela on the back seat and away we went. Along the main road Tela starts her whining and I start my mad-mother (similar to the mad hatter) chant of "away we go hunny, on our way home, home for a nap lalalalala". We turn onto the narrow single curvy lane and as I gaze into my mirror I see that Tela had gotten a hold of the grocery bag and the 2 pound box of strawberries. "UM Tela, do you want a strawberry? Ok just wait until we get home and I will get you one. TELA PUT THE BOX DOWN!!!!" and as the words escape my lips I see her open the box, upside down and hear the thump of 2 pounds of strawberries hit the floor of the car and proceed to roll around.
Oh but she is not done yet, out comes another 2 pound box, Tela proceeds to get one of those strawberries to eat and within seconds the box follows the trail of the previous box. As my anxiety rises with the sound of 4 pounds of strawberries rolling around the floor of the car I frustratingly glance back to see Tela munching away on her strawberry and smacking her lips at me. MMMMM
Next time I am taking the handcuffs..... apparently they should not be used just in the morning. :)

Tela has been up to all sorts of mischief of one sort or another. The other day I could not find her anywhere. Panic began to set in as I had searched all of her usual spots and had not heard any reply to my frantic calls. Quickly I call the others to help me look for her as I begin to envision her at the bottom of the stairs or lost in the hills. So I split up the kids to look up the back hill and down the street, beginning the call that I am going to have to have with Ian, in my head, "I lost your daughter!!!" Thankfully shortly after my heart starts visibly pulsing through my eyesballs,  Leah calls out that she had found her. Tela had followed Hawthorne under the porch and had set up shop with her blankie and bottle to hang our there with her dog dog. She did not want to come out....grrrrr


As I tell people all the time, Tela is learning. Learning to be nice, learning to share, learning not to hit and not to pour her drink out. Well apparently Tela is learning things I would rather she did not. For example, the other day Tela was eating an apple and spit out a piece. I told her to pick up her piece and throw it away, she shakes her head no at me. Tela you must pick up that piece and throw it away. Again she just looks at me and shakes her head, NO. I got down to her level and said, "Tela if you do not throw your piece away I am going to put you on a time out".  She then proceeded to pick up the edge of the living room rug and pushes her piece of apple under the rug, stands up proudly and says, TADA!!!

              Tela on her time out..... 

Emma exclaimed the other day that we should change Tela's middle name from River to Messy. Then she proceeded to sing Tela Messy Newkirk in a sing songy way for about 5 minuets and ended with, "It has a nice ring to it".

I was doing Emma's hair and the hair tie popped off as it broke. Emma just broke out laughing and screeched out between her laugh, "I have so much hair I can pop a hair tie, LOOK OUT WORLD"

Well the weather has been warming up and with it my spirits, I am so excited for Summer. Last weekend we had a warm night and Leah and Sam wanted to sleep outside in the tree house for the first time. EVER. Much talk led up to the moment prior to them heading out for the night. Ian and I made our bets as to how long they would make it out there and what animal tracks we have seen through our yard lately.  With nothing left to discuss we bid them goodnight, as they both exchange glances of forged bravery, Emma chimes in with all seriousness, "Say hi to the raccoons for me". Needless to say Ian and I just lost it. They did go outside to sleep for the night but as I walked to the kitchen at 11:30 they were both sitting on the couch bug eyed and I shooed them both to their beds.
 
And then there was Mother's Day, what can I say. I am the luckiest mama in the world to have the privilege to be the mom of these four diversely different yet individually unique, beautiful souls. All i asked for was to capture them on that day through a lens and they showered me with cards and gifts. 


So although my days are busy, I am as tired as they come, and the steady stream of demands has me drowning most days, I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a beautiful life and my heart is so grateful even if there is 4 pounds of strawberries rolling around my car with every turn.

Comments