today, today i feel like a poet

Today I feel like a poet or should I say that today I feel like letting the poet within me out.
Free to explore with words the inner thoughts of my smiles and tears.
I find myself  just days from my 33rd celebration of my day of birth. This post has been a week in the making as I have been reflecting on this last year, missing Safta, appreciating the precious time with those that positively contribute to my soul's smile.
The music is playing so softly, as I have shut my bedroom door to no one but the blissfulness of solitude. The kids are at school and our little one is down for a much needed nap. Oh she wears me out. The pile of laundry is on the dining room table as the dish washer hums its daily tune. A cold wind outside, grazing through, leaving bitter teeth marks on any exposed skin. It is the sharpness in the air, the multi-colors of the leaves, the pumpkins lined on our porch, the odd-ball gloves scattered by the front door and the array of scarves that has me cuddled up with a cup of tea, tender thoughts of Safta as my body digests the birthday breakfast from a dearest friend, and  my heart digests the overflow of gratitude.
This past year has left me overrun and uplifted with a rainbow of emotions, life lessons, personal reflections and growing opportunities. My branches have been pruned, my roots have dug deeper, my self awareness has blossomed. It has been a journey and I am grateful for each and every day, each and every step. Walking through the mud or dancing through the fields it has left me all breathless. Breathless in joy and tears, smiles and madness. Around the sun without getting scorched, to the moon while thanking my lucky stars. Awareness, awakenings. Sometimes I cry a lot but then I think there is much to cry about. Sometimes I laugh a lot but then I think there  is much to laugh about. This year has tenderized my heart, opened my emotions, and brought me back to a place of simplicity and gratefulness.
This is my life to live just this once. 33 years have passed my by as I sit here and grasp the fullness of blessings that I have the privilege to call my own. This last year has placed mud on my wedding shoes but also united our rhythm when we walk together. This last year has challenged my parenting pants demanding that I put on my big girl underwear and expand the width of my lap but it has also widened the measure of my hugs, expanding the length of my arms. This last year has taught me to know my personal boundaries but also how to dance more freely within my poppy fields. This last year has slowed the minutes but the days have flown past. This last year has taught me that I get to fill my heart and mind with beautiful thoughts, beautiful faces, beautiful memories in the making.
I get to appreciate who I am and celebrate my life, I get to always find something to enjoy, something to smile at. I get to release the poet within me and explore with words all my smiles and tears. Or as Safta always said, "a feast of words"
So today as I feel like a poet and bypass all the other half written post that I have yet to publish. I send my waves of gratitude and love to all those dear souls that have made me feel so special and loved through this last year of my journey. Breathlessly excited as I enter this next year of my treasured and truly blessed life.

Comments

Danya said…
That was so beautiful Rachel, just like you! You have such a way with words and such an amazing spirit and way of dealing with what life throws at you! Love you so much and I feel so lucky to have you as my very own sister! Happy Happy Birthday! I will be reminding myself for days that I have to put on my big girl panties now :) love it and love you more! Celebrating you and your birthday across the miles.