Chasing Tela

I asked some friends the other day if they title their days, their weeks, their seasons in life. As if they are just characters in a book and upon entering a new chapter or finding oneself in the midst of a chapter. You pause longing to summarize the unforgettable events going on around you. You want to title it, label it, mark it with a definitive definition.   That while lost or floating in the rhythm of this chapter you can flip back to its title page and grasp clearly the few clumped words that perfectly describe the river you are flowing down. And somehow in grasping hold of the title you find clarity and purpose to the river once more. Realizing that this is just one chapter, and some chapters can be so short, while other chapters seem to never end.
Every single friend looked at me like I am crazy so apparently I am sailing alone on my continual titling of my days, my weeks, my seasons in life.
Or maybe I am just continually writing the story of my life (in my head) and thus find myself titling each new chapter as I enter it or as I am in the midst of one.
Anyway all of this has to do with my current title of this chapter in my life and that is, Chasing Tela.
I know after that long and over drawn intro I should have a much more poetic title but to be far I can go through a few titles in a day and more often than not, I feel like I am writing, no less than a dozen books at any given time.
So Chasing Tela it is, she is into everything, nothing, sugar and spices (literally). Dog bones, and dog food. Water bowls and toilet bowls. Bathroom drawers, bedroom drawers, any drawers. She will unroll a toilet paper roll right in front of you, just out of your reach and before you can blink. The trash can is there for her primary enjoyment. She will throw what she wills away. Take out what she wills. An open fridge is the gun shot that sends her running over to frantically grab what she can from the bottom shelves.  Markers taste yummy and can make anything pretty. Nothing is off limits and if it is off limits that just means it has her name on it.  Cleaning up makes me feel like I am on a Japanese game show of spastically running around trying to make a room clean only to have a little tornado follow after me. Slowing down or speeding up does not faze her she just has to have everything out of its containers. Chirping her way from room to room the home has become her canvas, to create on, as she learns, discovers, and unfolds how everything feels, looks, tastes, responds, works. She is so busy, happy as can be as she daily rearranges our home and de-cluttering anything that is breakable.


And then we exit our home......








most outing have now become the equivalent of a marathon for me, not just any marathon but like a stress infused marathon. And without fail it seems when I am at the end of my exhausting trek through the store and she is playing bongo drums on my head as she wills her 20 pound body of muscle to displace herself from my shoulders, that I run into someone. Not just anyone but you know those people who you have not seen for a really long time. And while you do not really care what they think you do not necessarily want to leave them with the realistic impression that you are crazy. If only you could shrug your shoulders but then again that would probably just be helping Tela get down. I just want to wear a t-shirt that says, Yes I am going crazy and yes she is my fourth and FINAL child. Thank you and have a nice day too :)
And soccer fields are there for her to run out into and chase the ball or get the ball. And if she can't get in the soccer field then I should at least let her go around and get all the kids water bottles... they are just so much fun. Eat dirt, pull flowers, tease Emma, follow Leah, growl at Sam. She loves kids, all kids and so if she sees any, no matter their age, she will go right up to them, placing her face in theirs and smile with all that she has. And if the poor child is sitting down than she will back her bottom up into their laps and sit right down. Saving a few children from her as they look at me with a completely awkward look on their face. Quite a few children do not know how to take Tela at all and try to move away from her, which is like green light for Tela to follow in pursuit. I have had more than one child tell me that my baby is cute and crazy. I just have to nod my head in agreement as I take off after her again.
I know that this chapter of chasing Tela is only a temporary chapter and as busy as she keeps me and as crazy as she makes me, I am loving it. She is such a little character and so full of love and personality. She has a way of being so personal. She just looks at you with such wise little eyes, making eye contact and holding it followed by a beautiful smile. She backs her little being up against your leg just to be close or comes over to cuddle on your lap. She loves books and willingly will sit for such a long time on your lap as she absorbs each and every book you are willing to read to her. She is a little gift and my heart is grateful that I have the privilege of being the one that gets to spend her days Chasing Tela.
Now we are off to Sam's parent teacher meeting..... :) I love chasing Tela around adult meetings.



Comments

Orange said…
I thought my 3:10 wasn't going to show up and I was headed to Mrs. Jacobi's room to get Tela...when my 3:10 showed up!
RN said…
Punctual, reliable people can be such an inconvenience at times. Thank you for the thought. I just let Tela do all the talking as to why I am not part of pto or help out in the class. always works wonders