just follow the trail of goldfish

I had a vastly overdue eye appointment today. Like 4 years overdue. I am bad and only have my eyes checked when I am about to run out of contact lenses. So like any appointment for myself I schedule it between the hours of 12 and 3pm since during those 3 hours I only have Tela with me. Well this morning Emma woke up and started to complain of a hurting stomach and then proceeded to spend the next couple hours running to the bathroom. As she described it, "My butt won't turn off." So with her sensitive tummy we headed to my 2 o'clock appointment.
With a false sense of pride, humor, and eagerness I walk into the doctor's office led by Tela who had not had her second nap and Emma who is carrying a barf bag just in case.  I randomly fill in my name and number, on what I hope is the correct line, as I attempt to display the attitude of a cool and calm mother soothing her spastic 9 month old attempting to break the restraints of the stroller, and her 5 year old who wants her undivided attention for her knock knock jokes.
Breathe, laugh (hoping it did not sound like I am crazy) and proceed to go to the exam room. Tela screaming, Emma engaging and I am supposed to focus on WHAT? Half way through Tela's screaming and my exam Emma finds a box of goldfish crackers in her random throw up bag. "Mom can I have like 17 goldfish" Willing to risk her butt to turn back on I told her yes and please give some to Tela. The goldfish work. Tela settles down, Emma loves feeding/throwing the goldfish at her and I can finally hear what the doctor is saying. It is working great until I am peering through the hole with my chin and forehead in place, gazing right where the doctor wants me to and then I hear Tela making some awful coughing/choking noise. Maybe a 9 month old with 4 teeth should not be eating mouthfuls of goldfish crackers. She's ok. remind Emma to only feed her one cracker at a time. Without humor I observe the massacre of goldfish all over the floor, chair, child, and gently place my chin and forehead back into position.
Well I made it through just as Tela begins her amazing physical display of spastic twitching stroller tantrum. Amid Emma's questions and Tela's screeches I asked the doctor if my vision has changed. His response was "well your left eye has improved and your right eye has gotten worse, Have you been having any headaches?"
I just hugged Tela, as I stood behind Emma and smiled at him. I then proceeded to walk out with my false sense of pride, humor, and a trail of goldfish crackers only to learn that this whole time the root of my headaches was my vision. Good to know.

Comments