Dear Safta

Dear Safta,
I know that you always loved to read, so I thought on a day that I am missing you, so much more than usual, I would write you a letter.
It has been two years since I got to hold your hand. Two years of so much life and sorrow. Laughter and tears. So many times I have wanted to talk things over with you and just hear your sunshine voice tell me to be happy. I'm trying and for the most part I take your words and live by them.
Your two new great-grand-babies are sooo cute and growing by leaps and bounds. They are going to know your love because it was so infectious that these two little angles' moms can't help but pass it on to them. All the other great grandbabies are doing well too. Growing up in little blinks of an eye. You must be so proud to see the little people that each and everyone of them are growing into. I can hear you telling their moms that they are amazing moms and doing such a good job. These children are so loved and so lucky to have the wonderful moms that they do.
I am a bit worried about your grandbabies. We all miss you so much. We miss having you as our family focal point. We miss having you tell each one of us that we are so loved and come and talk to you. We miss feeling connected in the way that only you made us feel. I know that you are so proud of us and continue loving us from your new address but there is still that little kid in each of us that wants to climb back up on your lap and just feel your embrace again.
I know that we are all living our lives with you in our hearts. Striving to love like you loved, smile on life like you smiled on life, and embrace the ones we love like there is nothing else in the world to do.
Loving you today and always,
Your queen in the castle on the mountain side

Comments

Orange said…
Writing a grief letter was one of the suggestions made by the moderator of the grief seminar I went to last week. You are so smart! You know just what you need to do to help you grieve...Your Safta was lucky to have such wonderful grandbabies, and I know that she knew it.