Torturously, joyful entire family outings

Yesterday we took our first entire family outing, big, fat, yellow dog included. We went up to mountain park for a picnic, then stopped at a couple of stores before heading home. After our errands and feeling a bit worn out and filthy we all climbed into the car, found seats, space for our recently purchased items, got everyone buckled, I look over to see Ian collapse into the driver seat with a sigh and stated, "That was really hard."
Mentally I recaptured our day that included numerous exasperated moments that led up to us finally leaving the house for our LUNCH picnic at 2 pm. A couple hours spent quickly devouring food, a small walk (my hips are still funky), keeping the baby from all the flies, praying that she doesn't get stung by the numerous mosquitos. Getting a few bites ourself, keeping the kids from fighting and out of he car while I'm feeding the baby. Sticking to our word that despite Emma's screams and tears she can't keep the stick that is her gun and already been used in a few assaults on her big brother and sister. Getting everyone back into the car without hurting each other or the dog while still trying to obey the law and have everyone buckled. Arriving to the store, bribing everyone o get out of the car with the promise of ice cream sundays after dinner and I need their help to buy some stuff for that (my whole reason to stop at the store!! I promise.) Get my stuff and turn down the aisle to find the rest of the crew only to have one then two more toy cars come zooming from a side aisle. Praying that my dear children were not the engines behind these driver-less vehicles. Only to see my dear husband step out in pursuit of the cars with a big grin on his face (which quickly fades upon seeing me) followed by 3 filthy kids smiling away. Trying to keep my composure Tela and I continue past the parade and decide that we could use more beer in our house.
I finally check out as Ian, Sam, and Emma have run over to get our pizza for dinner. We meet up at the car and there I find myself wondering exactly what moment Ian was referring to with his statement. What exactly was "really hard" in his mind?
Thankfully he answered my unspoken question with, "That is really hard to go anywhere with the entire family. We should just stay home and never go anywhere."
Oh how my heart for years has agreed with that statement (in moments) yet everything in me could not let him know how much I agreed because I had finally persuaded him that we should go camping as a family before the kids go back to school. Despite all the headache that is to come I am determined we have at least one or two nights camping and spending time as an entire family. No matter how hard it is.
So this morning when Ian said he is going to drive to Bakersfield to pick up an exterior storage thing for our car so we could go camping I had to hide my smile but oh how my heart sang. With his good heart and despite his statement made just the day before Ian had joined me in the torturously, joyful boat of parenting four children and a big, fat, yellow dog. You know that aspect of parenting that cringes and lives for the painfully, glorious outings as an entire family.













I love the look Emma is giving her dad here. She has him wrapped around her pinky. His nickname for her is Beebers and one day he accidently called Tela that so we quickly had to come up with another nickname for Tela. Ian started calling her Squeakers (which she completely lives up to) and now Emma proudly introduces her as Tela Squeakers River Newkirk.
The kids are doing the first letter to their name.
I LOVE YOU. Well kind of, but that is what we were going for.

Emma came up to me the other day as I was feeding Tela and stated "Mom your boo boos (boobs) are going to be flat soon." Ian started laughing and exclaimed "Oh how right you are Emma" which just ruffled my feathers like truth often does, so I retorted back to Emma, who since this whole nursing thing has arisen, has been very interested in the size of boo boos (especially hers,) "Well yours are already flat."
Oh the look she gave me. It was one of those awful parenting moments when ugliness has flown from your mouth and you just want to take it back but you can't. I knew it was a low blow and the look from her face said that she knew it too. So if you hear me say how big and nice Emma's boo boos are going to be when she grows up... well now you know why.


Comments

Orange said…
Sooo....you are going camping tomorrow?
RN said…
:) You did a great job on raising a good boy who likes to make his wife happy. He is actually getting a little excited himself, once he pulled out the fishing poles. We are going to Kennedy Meadows for the night or maybe two. Wish us luck