Oh the things she will learn

It is hard to believe that two weeks ago tomorrow I couldn't wait to kiss Tela's cheeks and now I can't imagine a day being real without kissing those cheeks. She is soooo kissable and such a good baby.

What is even harder for me to believe is that the kids are down to their last week of summer vacation. If I had not been butting heads with Sam since 9 this morning I would have readily and honestly said that in no way, shape or form am I ready to send them back to school but thankfully my children are blissfully full of human annoyances and stubbornness thus readying this mother's heart to bid them farewell
The kids, Emma in particular, have loved the 3 foot deep pool grandma and grandpa got this summer. Emma can be a dolphin or a penguin on any given day as she goes between the cold pool and a warm tub as often and as long as she is permitted.
This is Leah getting her hair wet. She is a lot more sensitive to the water temp on this day this was the extent of her going "swimming."
And then there is Sam who would go swimming in true Sam fashion (spastically) Between him and Ian the water gun was rarely left unattended.
So on the subject of school and learning I asked each of the kids to write down all the things that they want to teach Tela.
Leah is going to teach her to eat with manners, do art and crafts, walk, sit, sing, read, build and design. According to Leah, Mom is there for you, Dad is working hard, Emma will play anytime, Sam will play games with you, Grandpa will tickle you and Grandma makes things fun with you
Sam has the basics covered like walk, run, play sports, ride a bike, sing (I hope not, he sings as bad as me), jump, eat, sit, open a present and teach her when her birthday is.
And then there is Emma who loved this assignment so much she spent an entire evening designated to running up to me sporadically yelling new things she wants to teach Tela. She started with the basics, (and I am doing it in her order) sit, walk, hold her head, stand up, not sleep as much, make stuff like crafts and good coloring, doing ballet herself, pee in the potty, eat with a fork, swim under water, swim on her back, listen to everything and grow up and be a big girl.
Emma's advise on the family was to see everybody, get away from Grandpa's tickle fingers, Grandma always let you go swimming, stay away from Daddy's pokeys (whiskers) and he is so ticklish, Mom always kisses everybody and she is magical, Leah is kind, Sam is crazy and this family is so great.

I see her changing a little every day and despite what some may believe I think that her cheeks are getting some chunk on them. She has earned the nickname squeaker since thus far she has yet to really cry but when awake and really hungry she lets out little squeaks. She continues to be the most laid back baby I have met and I daily am thankful that she is here to love on and kiss.
I am a happy mama as I find myself bound to a chair, nursing a consistently hungry baby, watching the love that is flowing through our home. Sometimes the love is covered by grumpy clouds and tired eyes, pushed buttons or overly antagonized children, but there remains a steady stream of good hearts in each of the crazy members we call our family. Yet as Emma said, "This family is so great" and we are all ready to teach Tela so much. Whether she wants to learn it or not!!

Comments

Orange said…
Thank you, Rachel! You record all the importanat events of our family...
Anonymous said…
awe sooo soooo sweet! Leah, Sam, Emma and Tela are absolutely beautiful. Love what they are going to each teach her. You and Ian are such wonderful parents!
Beautiful post and glad to see posting more :)
love you lots and can't wait to see Tela! She is such a gorgeous baby!
Danya