pokemon monopoly- a crazy answer

Well if you have not concluded by my posts that I am always on a quest to find activities, crafts, and games to keep my kids busy or at least preoccupied from keeping me from going insane. So the other day we had gone and done our recycling which profited us 6.50 to spend at our leisure. The kids usually blow their portions at the gas station on junk or at the dollar tree on even junkier junk. So on this particular day I suggested to the kids that we go to the thrift store where there two dollars each would stretch a lot farther.
Leah walked out with a hoard of jewelry, a pair of sunglasses that were too big for her and two old lady reading glasses attachments. You know the beaded things that look like necklaces but they slide onto the end of your glasses permitting your glasses to hang from you neck. She had me laughing so hard under my breath as she walked out, thinking she was all that, while her big cheap sunglasses hang daintily from her neck.
Emma who had been given a donut was kinda forced (by me) to buy all the objects that she had successfully covered in chocolate. So out she walked with 2 bracelets, a christmas tree ornament, a pair of train overalls (which she claims as her train costume and now I have to take her on a train) and a daily pocket book from 2008.
And then there is Sam who proceeded to bring in a flat ball, a left handed glove, a pair of golf shoes that were huge, and a toy monster with a duck in its mouth (which he had put there.) I gently encouraged him to put those useless items aside and lets go look at what games they had and maybe a couple books. We went looking and before I could adjust my eyes Sam exclaims, "Pokemon!!!! and I think that it is a game" I was so happy to get him a game, even if all the pieces are not there, over a useless glove, ball, and shoes. All purchases made and home we go.
Well Sam's Pokemon game turned out to be a Pokemon monopoly game with all the pieces. The kids came home and after numerous questions on how to play they sat there for almost two hours playing. Then as soon as dad got home it was into another game. And first thing this morning and first thing after lunch. They are slowly learning how to really play the game and Sam is in love. At one point Sam was so desperate to play with someone that he was roping Emma in to play with him and doing everything in his power to keep the game going. After their short-lived game Sam came up to me and said that Emma should keep her job as the banker and leave the game playing to the rest of us.
The game has reinforced a few known facts about our kids that we already knew.
Like Leah is awful with money. In the middle of their game with dad, after Leah made one unwise choice after another with her money, I just looked at Ian and said, "That girl is not going to be allowed to move out of this house until she can play monopoly without losing all her money and is capable of making wise financial moves. Like why would you buy a 100 dollar piece of property from Sam who is asking 500 dollars to a 1000 dollars for it?!!!
With Sam this is going to be the moment when he is 45 that he looks back on and says, "Well I kinda knew that realty and property investments was for me when I got my pokemon monopoly game at the ripe age of 7."
Who would have thought of all the things I have bought to keep the kids playing together and out of my hair would be a pokemon monopoly game. Not something I would have picked off the shelf but thank you pokemon and all your weird little characters cause for the last 15 min I have been able to blog without being interrupted. :)

Comments