T-Ball

"Why are you laughing?" asked the six year old girl that I watch. Breaking out into another spout of laughter I responded with, "Because I am enjoying myself and it is funny"



There is something about a group of 5-7 year olds playing their first game of T-Ball ever. In fact I think that it was the first time most of the kids had ever held a bat or a glove. The concept of the game was lost on them all but oh the joy of watching them ALL race frantically after the ball to tackle it down or have them remain cemented to their spot as the ball comes to a stop within a foot of where they stand.

Sam was placed at the pitcher's mound moments after receiving his shirt and hat. Of course he did not pitch but I thought it was nice of the coach to ask him if he knew where the bases were. After Sam informed him that he did not but liked being in front of all the other players that were behind him, the coach proceeded to point out the bases and told him to throw it to first base if the ball was hit to him (which it was often.)

Sam also hit the ball the farthest and the beam on his face was priceless. Sam quickly figured out that all the action was between the pitcher and first baseman, since there were no outs in this game.


The plays went as such. The coach would toss the ball to the batter, if they did not hit it by the third toss than they would use the t-ball stand. The player would hit the ball, if it went past the pitcher than all the players in the field would proceed to chase down the ball. The lucky player would then throw it in the general direction of the first baseman (if he was still there) and then the first baseman would throw the ball to the pitcher who would give it to the coach.



Sam insured that he was either the pitcher or the first baseman. He loved it all and I, well I have not laughed so hard in a long time. I got some dirty strange looks from the other moms but I was not laughing at their children, they were just failing to laugh with me, with their children.


Comments