A mom is not allowed to be sick

To begin with I am going to start with my title, A mom is not allowed to be sick. For some reason our rather healthy home has come down with all sorts of sneezes, runny noses, and sore throats. Yesterday Leah stayed home from school with a sore throat and Ian has strep throat. I know that moms are not allowed to get sick but yesterday it struck me just how much moms are not only, not allowed to get sick, but they are forbidden from being sick. Let me expand.... as Ian is laying in bed after a day on the couch and many helpful hands to refill his cups and get his medicine, I asked him how he is doing. "Oh my body aches from my fever, I can't get warm, and my throat is killing me." I responded with understandable sympathy, "Sorry hunny, those are the same symptoms I had." "When did you have this?" was his response. "Well lets see, I was up all Monday night with a fever which continued through Tuesday and have yet to feel completely better." And there it was, my own husband knew that I was not feeling well but due to the fact I was not permitted to be sick had not noticed just how unwell I was until he himself came down with the illness. A mom cannot call in sick, the kids are still taken to school, laundry is still done, cleaning still accomplished, dinners still made and somehow a mom still recovers. Ian is like Sam when he is sick, give him the remote or Zelda and they are good for the day. Make some chicken soup from scratch, buy some sprite and await the day when they are back into the full swing of things. Ok I am done with sicknesses, literally I can't wait for our entire house, myself included, to be healthy.
Things that have made me smile this week.....
I had gotten the kids some beanbags and after Sam had asked me what was inside the beanbags he responded with, "Save the Planet, plant a beanbag"
I was teaching Sam's sunday school class and we were talking about David protecting his dad's sheep from lions. One boy said that he would have just gotten a gun and shot the lion. Another boy quickly responded with, "They did not have gun powder back then." I did not have the heart to say there was a complete lack of guns back then so found myself whole heartedly agreeing that a gun would have been handy but gunpowder would have been needed.
Emma was talking with one of my friends about Ian's birthday when she paused mid sentence and turned to me, "Mom, what's Dad's number now?" That would be 30 Emma.
As mentioned earlier Leah stayed home from school and our rule is that if you stay home from school you have to stay in your room until school gets out (helps prevent false sicknesses.) Well half way through the day Leah, who had made a remarkable recovery after a pleasant sleep-in, started to get bored with her room and wanted to come out to play. "Leah you know the rule" was my firm response. "Mom you know that I am learning about the body at school and I know that a healthy body should always be celebrated so you should not punish me for having a healthy body now we should celebrate."
We had a surprise birthday party for Ian in which we actually surprised him. It went really well with Ian feeling loved. I was going to blog about it all but for some reason our computer is not letting me load pictures so I am just going to make mention of it and do a proper post with pictures and all later.
Yep so here is to health, smiles and a mere mention of my hubby's birthday.

Comments