Time well spent

Time is passing and I have discovered what makes me smile the biggest is time well spent. To me time well spent is time that positively contributes to the relationships with our family. We all have to spend time on taking care of the necessities of life but what I long for and look forward to the most is the time that is well spent. Like a driveway date with my husband, or playing card games with Sam, or hide and seek with Emma, or a date with Leah.
And a date with Leah is the reason for this post, although it was not me that got to take her on a date but Grandma. Yet through this date it hit me how much time well spent with my kids means to me. The utmost important thing to the kids is the one on one time. Those moments where you take the opportunity to inform the child how much you love them and enjoy them and appreciate who they are. The way that I see it is that during their childhood I get to create memories with them that contribute to who they are and when someone else longs to and takes the time to contribute to their memories and who they are blesses my very being.
Leah was so excited that Grandma was taking her out to the play of Sound of Music. On the phone with Grandma I turned to Leah and said "Grandma says you need to get dressed up"
As Leah's eyes shone and face lit up she responded with, "Ok how does she want me to get dressed up? Old fashioned? Like a princess?" From the moment that she knew she was going on a date, just her and Grandma, her heart and mind were on cloud 9 and although she did not get home till 11:30 she waltzed in still on cloud 9 and has remained there all morning and I expect for many more days. She is carrying her pamphlet as though the sheets of paper are her attachment that her delightful experience was real.
I know that life is hard at time and creating those special memories with the kids one on one is hard with all the other demands and I just wanted to say thank you to Jen for doing this. I love to see that look in her eyes and thank you for putting it there.

On another note and before I forget Emma is doing AWESOME with her potty training. She only wears a pull up at bed time and even then she gets up through out the night and usually always has a dry pull up. Her bladder control is amazing, she can hold it and hold it until we get to the store and then the next store and then the next store. I know where every public bathroom there is in town. Yesterday she went at the two stores we had been to and thinking we should be good at the park proceeded to go there. Less than 10 min later she is clutching herself and screaming that she had to go. I had not even given her anything to drink.... where is all this pee coming from? I turned around to gather our stuff, then turned back to rush the little endless pee pee goer home only to find that she was started to pull down her pants to go poo right in the middle of the playground. I have no clue where she got the idea that it was ok to go poo in public but I really had to convince her that it was indeed not ok and we spent the ride home acting like an ambulance with a serious poo poo emergency.

Comments

Orange said…
The theater seats you at dinner tables, so even though we weren't eating dinner, our place was all set with crystal, silver, etc. Leah pulls the fancy folded napkin out of the water goblet and turns to me and asks, Is it ok to wipe your hands on this? I assure that it is indeed a napkin and she responds with, The only kind of napkin we use is made of paper and you throw it away.