Crochet needles

One of the items that I received from Safta's room was her crochet needles. I can not begin to tell you how many blankets she has made for family and for preemie babies. When I was about 16 Safta also took the time and patience to teach me to crochet and somewhere there remains (or not) a unfinished disaster of a blanket as proof. I don't think I have touched a crochet needle since. Well her needles remained nestled on my dresser for months and despite the thought of reteaching myself there remained no actual action. So a couple days ago I picked up some yarn from a thrift store and sat down trying to remember what I was supposed to do. After a day of awkward attempts I got some yarn today from the dollar store and spent the most of today crocheting. I made a hat and then everyone went to bed so I started to work on a scarf. It was in that moment of solitude and relaxed concentration that I felt so close to Safta. She was with me smiling at me as I sat, like she did so many evenings, crocheting. I suppose the reason I felt so touched was due solely to how much I miss her and how in that moment, after so many months I felt close to her once again. Missing her is like a dull ache that never subsides and feeling her close to me was like a drink after months of being parch. So now I know how to feel close to her and if my kids show up at school in an entire outfit made out of yard than you will know that I have been missing her especially much lately.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahhh what a sweet post!
A big hug to you

love you
Danya