What's a mother to do

What is a mother to do when she devotes her whole being to being a mother? The job is great and I am slowly working myself out of my position but in-between and every so often there remains these slivers of desire to be something other than a mother. I have noticed a need to devote time, money, and self to pursue anything personal outside of being a mom and I get each of those items sparingly through out the year but yet in the moment of longing to just abandon my post and be something else I just find myself going kid underwear shopping by myself. I suppose that it is yet another one of those balancing acts of life, kinda like raising Sam and keeping your sanity. This whole post came from a childless friend that said, "what kind of good mother does not take time for herself?" Weeelllll lets see, the kind that never knows what time her husband is coming home, the kind that for 98 percent of the year really does love being with her kids, and the kind that does find numerous things within her world that make her happy and content. So when that 2 percent does flare up and longs to have another life where herself and her momentary desires are granted, all a mother is to do is go shopping, by herself, for kids underwear and just walk down every aisle for the heck of it.

Comments

Unknown said…
You are such a good writer and totally need to get paid for your writing!
I hear ya! Wish I could come give you some alone/take off the mother hat time
You need it/deserve it.
Emma will be in school before you know it.
Can't believe she is going to be 3 this month

love you
Danya