The ride home

The kids have decided that it is a race to the car after school. Which is fine with me cause they usually make it to the car at a decent time and home we go. Well today Sam was the first one to the car and as he gets in and no sign of the other two kids I told him to climb into the back and we would pull a joke on them. Back he goes and invisible he becomes.
Leah and Abraham (Sam's best friend) get to the car to be met with, "Where is Sam?" "Did you see him?"
Leah was the first to respond with, "No he is usually waiting at the flagpole for Abraham and I just grabbed Abraham and we did not see Sam" Abraham showing no concern buckled and got out a snack.
"WELL THAT'S IT!!!!! I AM TIRED OF WAITING ON YOU KIDS AND GETTING STUCK IN THE PARKING LOT" Started the car and without running over any kids we left the parking lot in record time.
The further we got from the school the realization began to hit Leah that we were leaving Sam.
"MOM you need to call Grandma right now."
I quickly and carelessly responded with, "No, Sam made the choice to take forever to get to the car he can figure out a way to get home, who knows maybe he will walk"
Leah became overwhelmed with that thought and followed with,"Mom you have to turn around, Sam WOULD walk home and get hit by a car"
Turning to my eldest who just that morning claimed "Sam as the most annoying person in the world and would love for him to forever leave her alone", "Are you worried about Sam? Is it because you just might love him?"
With a smile inching on the corners of her frowned face she said, "No I just don't want him to get hit by a car, thats all"
I continued to ignore the pleas of her unworried and unloving concerns to please turn around and go get him. As we pulled to the top of the driveway Sam jumps up from the back and sends everyone else into laughter except Leah. She just turned at me with a look of betrayal and broke out crying.
"Leah what in the world? we were just playing a joke"
"I feel like you just teased me into saying that I love my brother and I was worried about him, MOM, he drives me crazy"

Comments

Orange said…
Poor Leah, I am on her side!