The Tehachapi Dog Park Social Bubble

I personally avoid social bubbles, in an almost religious manner, you know those clicks of people that create social snob bubbles. Feel like they are above everyone else when they are with fellow members of their bubble. If you do not know who they are talking about or fully understand what they are talking about (no matter the point of entry in the conversation) than you are dumb and it is a privilege to be in their presence.
Well since I have started taking Hawthorne to the dog park a couple times a week I discovered on my last venture one of the more entertaining social bubbles. Who knew that taking your dog to the dog park would mean that you have to prove yourself to a group that you are worthy of being a fellow dog park member. Thankfully since Hawthorne's sister's owner/mommy is one of the higher ranking dog park members apparently we get in for free.
Which really is a big thing since if they don't approve you than God forbid you show up with your dog in the city dog park aka, in their own words, "our greater backyard."
"I just won't let any dog in my personal back yard so why should those ill tempered dogs be tolerated in my greater backyard."
I really had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from reminding them that this is really just a dog park, not a national monument that they are personally responsible to ensure it's existence.
As I am sitting their pondering if this is really going on around me, the true intentions of the main spokesperson came abruptly to the forefront as a large group of firemen came over to the baseball field directly in front of us.
This character of a woman, who appeared to be well into her fifties, overly pleasantly plump and happily married to her husband of 32 years with two children in college, immediately arose from her seat, color rising in her checks, and her voice inching higher with excitement.
"Oh this day just got great, these boys (firemen) take their shirts off, run around the track getting all sweaty then come back and have guy bonding time playing frisbee with each other till they are just dripping with sweat and then they run through the sprinklers. Oh This Day Just Got Great"
I just lost it and had to ask her if when they ran through the sprinklers if it occurred in slow motion. She did not miss a beat and just continued with how pleased she is that this day just got great. And to ensure that she did not miss out on any of this great day, over the next half an hour that I was there, she always ensured that nothing obscured her view, commented on how wonderful a day it was and she sure wished they would turn the sprinklers on already. She occasionally made mention how pleased she was that such and such a dog was not there making a ruckus and distracting her from her great day.
As much as I do not want to join this weird dog park social bubble (which I fear that Hawthorne's sister's owner did for me) I appreciated the wonderful half an hour of laughter.
So if we do not show up at the park tomorrow at nine I might be kicked out of the Tehachapi dog park social bubble, which could have a devastating affect on my heart and then on the other hand I might miss out on another half an hour of live comedy.
Damn these social bubbles and the humorous characters that create them.

Comments

Orange said…
Please, you have to go tomorrow so we can all laugh at the further adventures of the TDPSB...you are so funny!
Anonymous said…
lol..Rachel you are so funny and such a great writer. You have to go back now just to keep us in the loop of whats going on in the social bubble society of the dog park