Starting to sink in but not really..



The kids start school in two days and I keep waiting for it to sink in that summer is over but it has not. I went to the coast last weekend thinking that would be our final summer fling and then the reality will take hold of me that summer is over. It did not work as planned..... the reality has not even begun to take grasp of my summer mind set, but we had a great weekend so that was cool. It was great seeing everyone and after attending a couple of my brother's soccer games officially decided that I would never be a soccer mom. I even got to hang out with my wonderful Aunt Donna who was visiting from Australia. So I think there should be more final summer weekends in a year.

I got to see and play with my little Ryan who is getting so big. His mommy brought a box to put him in (I think so that he would have a nap) but we just ended up playing peek a boo. What else are you supposed to do with an adorable baby in a box?


Over lunch my brother Josh made the comment that Emma is crazy. As her mom I came to her defense and said she was not but moments later coming out to her screams of delight while Johnny took her for a skateboard ride I had to agree that she was a little crazy.
So my youngest brother Matty was in a soccer tournament and we came to see a couple of his games. Emma was not really into the game so after a while I sent her off to plant skittles in some dirt behind us. This caught the attention of another older boy who seemed completely entertained at the image of a filthy girl planting skittles in the hopes of growing candy trees for the squirrels. Squirrels do not eat candy but how great would it be to have your home in a candy tree.
So Matt's team won the 10 and under devision for their area. It was fun to watch him and even funnier to try and keep Sam from running out onto the field to say hi to Matt whenever Matt was near us.
After roasting in the soccer field with the strew of cow hide soccer moms I took the kids and Yoel to the beach and it was perfect. The weather, the tide and the kids.
With Uncle Yoel's help the kids got to ride their first waves and they sounded like me at the Phish concert... just screaming it up with sheer delight and thrill.

Emma even got into the action and after doing it alone for a while I had her sit on the board and pulled her along. And since she is just a little bit crazy she thought it was the best thing in the world.
Kids are the best excuse to act young yourself and that is exactly what I did, so maybe, just maybe it is the kid inside of me that does not want summer to end and it is currently fighting the adult in me that says; the reality is, dear Rachel, YOUR children start school in two days and summer is done. So here is to a great summer, great times, great memories and to the numerous times that the kid got to explode out of me this summer.

Comments