Just because we live the same house does not mean that I have to like your music

Ian got his amp today and never before has it hit me that just because we live in the same house does not mean that we have to like the same music. In fact I have come to find my exact appreciations and dislikes in music.

Now before I get into my full ventilation mode I feel that I should elaborate a little on the major role that music plays in our house. Both Ian and I love music, throughout the day I will constantly be playing music and at the end of a long week Ian and I will go sit in his car and just listen to music (driveway date) late into the night. I love relaxing. sing along, acoustic kind of songs and Ian, well Ian loves good music. Talented musicians that can get into an incredible jam session for 20 min and with each new note hit it with clarity and right on cue. I have come to appreciate some of his music which can include Portapotty (a song about a guy that fell in love in a portapotty line at a concert,) Love Handles (a song fully dedicated to love handles) and the list goes on.
Yet one area that I have just not been able to overcome is my love for the electric guitar.
I know, I know most people right now are shaking their heads but please do not get me wrong. I appreciate the electric guitar and all the wonderful abilities it has and the role it plays in many songs but I honestly am a acoustic guitar girl at heart and for the most part the electric guitar always seems to remind me of screeching cats not music.
So everyone can only imagine my thrill when Ian informed me that he had ordered an amp for his electric guitar and here we are today. The great day of arrival..... He was so thrilled and I do feel guilty for not having any genuine excitement to share with him but at the end of the day I just want him to go to his friends house and have a wonderful 5 hour jam session in someone else's garage.
Yep so that is that and I know that I will get over it all and come to appreciate him playing in the garage but for now I think that I will just repeat my title of the blog in my head and try to keep my mental chanting louder than his playing.

Ok now for some cuteness....

Her new thing is wanting to hold the trees whenever we go to the park. She will run up to them, wrap her arms as far around them as they can go and repeat over and over, "hold Emma's tree" until she runs to the next one.
So if Emma had parents from the south she would so be in pageants. This is her princess smile, she will do it on cue and places all energy and effort into squinting every muscle in her face, while grinding her teeth.

Comments

Chris Newkirk said…
What the hell??? Where's the photos of the new amp??? I mean, Emma's cute and all, but you can't write an article about Ian's awesome new guitar amp and how awesome it is and how much you love it's awesomeness, and then not post photos.
Anonymous said…
Ok, This will not make you feel any better about music, but you are soooo right. And I know Jennifer agrees. Also that picture is way too cute, as was the slideshow and thye candy story.
Muna