Baby Showers in a whole new light...

Lets just start this blog with it is so nice to be home.
I think that I just survived one of the weirder weekends of my life.

It started with me responsibly leaving my home at around 7 Saturday morning to drive to my sister's house in LA to ride with her to her baby shower in Westlake. I got to her home in good time despite the rain and my immense dislike for multiple vehicles on the road. Where I found the garage open and nobody home, which was fine with me cause I really did not think that my bladder could have withstood greetings before being relieved.

Well my brother-in-law got home then called my sister who quickly came home to pick me up to go get our nails done. AHHH "I did not come here early to go to a salon!!!" Oh well, as a good sister I went along and became my sisters personal bag carriers and assistant as their nails were drying. Back to the house to finish getting ready, then Yudi's friend came to pick us all up to drive us to the baby shower.

So we get to my sister's mother-in-laws house, set up and settle down as we wait for the guests to arrive, which they did in waves of silky scarves and outfits (except for the one lady that was wearing sweats with a Popeye shirt that she should have gotten in the large instead of the medium when she was shopping in the children's department.)

The arrival of Yudi's mother-in-law's friends can only mentally be equated to a bunch of valley girls showing up at someone's birthday party cause they heard that there was a keg except these girls were all well over 60, and instead of shouting "Hey is it your birthday? Happy Birthday Dude" they would approach Yudi and say, "Oh you must be the bride" (as Yudi's very pregnant belly is keeping them at least two feet away from her) " oh wait the mother to..... the mother to be and what is your name?" So the five of us young girls (30 was very, very young there) were in one room as the majority of the party overtook the kitchen as they caught up on plastic surgery, skiing trips, affairs, romps around Paris, boyfriends and exes. During one of the intermixing of the two groups, one of our dear friends (one of the five of us) who has four children was called ambitious for having four children followed by, "you only look sixteen." We quickly retreated back to our corner.

Well let me give some back ground here, Yudi's affluent mother-in-law generally hosts one kind of party and ONLY one kind of party and that would be a cocktail party with other affluent people and fancy foods. So in keeping with what she knew Yudi and her dear friend, who had brought party favors and games, were at quite a loss with their mind set that this was indeed supposed to be a baby shower where Yudi was supposed to get some kind of acknowledgment. Yet us young girls found ourselves a little overwhelmed with the cabbage and uncooked shrimp salad as a lady is standing there serving everyone. After the guests had been served and us girls dutifully got our plates and ate foreign salads we attempted to get everyone in one room to play the games.

After numerous failed attempts, by Yudi's friend, to qualm the chattering ladies I stepped up to attempt getting their attention. I found speaking in a tone and vocal volume that I would use with a class of rowdy kindergartens worked and thus found myself the designated loud speaker for the game host. The games went as only one could expect and after the ladies found out that the prizes did not contain alcohol seemed to loose even more interest.

The exciting moment of opening the presents seemed to evaporate half the room as the ladies seemed to suddenly have some where else to be. So my poor sister who did not know the majority of the people was opening cards and calling out the name on the card as if she were in an antique action. "And this one is from Susie..... Susie? Is Susie here? Oh she left...."

So all in all it was by far one of the weirdest baby showers that I have ever been to, actually I think that it was one of the weirdest parties that I have ever been to but it was funny and there were too many moments of uncontrollable laughter to count. And therefore the only appropriate manner to end such a party for me was profusely hugging and thanking the lady that had throughout the party been busy serving people, clearing plates, doing dishes and only after my insistence came out of the kitchen to have some cake and partake of the opening of the presents, find out on the way home that she had been hired help.

Yep me and affluent people live in different towns for a reason.

All this said (and there was a lot to be said) I am glad to say that my sister is now ready to have her little boy and I can hardly wait to meet my new nephew. Love you Yudi and here is to another chapter in our book of sisterhood.

Comments

Susannah said…
yeah that sounds like an absolute nightmare, good for you for surviving it!!
Anonymous said…
lol...your description is so right on if its wasn't so funny it would be so sad