Curly Cause of Existence


I have started to take a closer look at how many children have curly hair, like Emma's because no matter where we go or what (mental) state we are in I am constantly being told how cute she is and "oh would you look at that hair." Usually I do not mind the interruptions of her steady admirers but when I am in a frazzle or Emma is just driving me nuts it can be a little annoying. For example shopping at the store and someone just feels the need to stop me and tell me how cute she is and what lovely hair she has and her eyes and so forth. Meanwhile the adorable little child is running down the next aisle or pulling items off the shelves. I have even asked my sister who has a little girl with curly hair about the constant comments and my favorite response from her was the black lady at church who gives her advice on how to deal with the curls (cornrows?). My more common comments are, Is it natural? Where does she get it from? It must be so fun to have curls.
The reason I am blogging is to let out all of the responses that I would love to give. "No it is not natural, I spend 2 hours every day curling her hair but we leave the house with her face dirty." "I am thinking she got it from the fed ex man cause there is no one in my gene pool that has curls." "Let me tell you people that when I wished for something in my family it was for my one year old with not a calm bone in her body to have curls that need to be brushed once a day just so that she does not look like I just pulled her from the dryer." "Curls are cute but they definitely do not cover a multitude of short comings"
I know that I am nasty and I love Emma and think she is adorable and am so glad that wherever we go or whatever state we are in she can bring smiles to peoples faces. Now if only they would start donating some money to her curly cause of existence we would be great.

Comments

Anonymous said…
lol...Emma is a doll.
I hear you on the curls. I don't get it quite as much as you do though :)
Sounds like Brooklyn and Emma are going through the terror wild stage together. I tell you everyday is a zoo.
Good luck figuring what to tell people or maybe just order her a shirt that says something on it and make her wear it everyday. then you can just point to the shirt
Brown Eyed Girl said…
I needed something to laugh about on my bday. I do love her curls. I get the same stuff about Alex's eyes, not as much, but I just don't have an answer as to what color they actually are.. I think I'll take him to an eye dr. with a color chart and maybe we'll come up with an answer for "sometimes, green, gray or blue, depending on the light or mood he's in or I'm in". That's what I say for now. I however can not blame the UPS driver cause she is a lesbian woman. :)
RN said…
I would recommend Home Depot over the eye doctor. Apparently you can take anything in there and they can make that color into paint so if anyone should know what multi colored, changing eyes should be called I would think that it would be the expert Home Depot men/women.