Ready Mom?


Alright Joshua Miller, I am in dire need of you to come over and take Sam on a few crazy, insane adrenaline rushes. I hope that it just might get it all out of his system and since you are my brother and seem to be on the same adrenaline rush that Sam thrives off of, in the words from Lion King, "It is time."
Ok it started with the kids pulling their bikes up a few feet on our neighbor's driveways and flying down. Sure I did not like it but hey it did not seem to be that bad, until I came outside to get Emma and there is Sam dragging his bike to the top of our driveway.
"Um Sam what are you doing?" I asked in fear of the answer.
"Oh hi mom, I am going to go all the way down our driveway on my bike"
Ahhh screamed from my heart. Well by this time he is on his bike and getting ready to go. Looking over at me with a smile on his face he said, "Ready Mom?"
"No" was my quick response.
With that gleam in his eyes and the grin across his face, my five year old asked me, "Are you ever going to be ready?"
What is a mother to say, no I will never be ready to watch you gleefully anticipate splattering your head on the drive way.
His eyes fixated on me his asked, "will you be ready when I am 15?"
"15 with a full body suit, motorcycle helmet and I still will not watch."
I had to go inside I did not want to know what he was going to decide to do.
So there it is, my five year old asked the question every mom dreads and looks forward to.... Are you ready mom? Are you ever going to ready? Ready to let me fly by the seat of my pants, ready to let me go, ready to trust me, ready to accept me in a totally different way as I am daily changing and discovering myself. Ready to completely give of yourself only for me to use your love to fly away. Ready or not welcome to being a mom. Love you Sam, my crazy man.

Comments

Love it...made me cry. It is for Gita, too who has come to the "REady or not, here we go" stage of parenting...
Anonymous said…
lol..sorry Rachel.