The moment of realization

As the children rode off, both on their bikes with no training wheels and not a second glance back at me, it hit me. The kids are growing up. They are no longer little kids but are now children, capable of riding off, deciding which way they are going, how fast they are going to get there and when and if they are going to return. It was definitely one of those defining moments of realization, that happen periodically admits the cloudy chaos of raising kids. That they are growing, slowly getting closer to becoming more and more independent of you.
No Lacey, I did not cry, but it was a very sweet moment just the same. I suppose I am the type of mother that places my parenting effort in creating independent children, looking forward to the day when they get to fly away from the nest, thus resulting in a sense of accomplishment and pride when they do display the stretching and testing of their little wings. In saying all this there are numerous times every day that I just want to kick them out of the nest, with not a care if their wings are ready to carry them or not. And then Leah comes to me and says, "Mom in 3 years I am going to be 11" Ok never mind, stay young I am not ready for that.
We had a nice relaxing time at Chris's welcome home barbecue. The kissing cousins were at it again.
They were very cute following each other around and sitting down together, acting like the other was not there.

Once pretty much everyone left, Alex came out of his shell and was showing of his dirty face and gymnastic abilities. He is the cutest little goober.
I love this look on Emma... she is looking right at me, saying through her eyes, "mom you are going to pay"

Comments

When I saw the title, I thought the moment of realization was going to be Emma's moment watching her stroller roll down the driveway without her...cute pictures. And your cookies rocked!
Anonymous said…
Such cute pictures. Love Emma and Alex together. Two cutie pies.
How fun that Sam and Leah can go off on their bikes together.
Such Happy, sad moments us as moms go through :)
Happy they are getting big but sad we are loosing are babies.
I've been so uninspired to blog.
I read your writing and am in awe of how brilliantly your mind still works.My brain is dead and thus it makes it hard to write.
love you guys
Have a great week