Sibling Funk

So very often in our home the kids get into the most horrendous kind of funk, the funk of fight. They can easily get into this funk and it can last for moments or for days and without reservation it takes the parents from sanity to insanity in mere seconds. This funk does not permit the kids to be within breathing space of each other without a fight breaking out. It can be a verbal fight, a shrieking fight, a crying fight, a grabbing fight, a hitting fight or a combo of all fights.
So after a weekend of the children being in this funk, Monday morning rolled around and despite the children still being in the grasps of the funk I was done. Monster Mom came out after they came to me crying over the most recent screaming, hitting fight over God only knows. Most moms know exactly what the monster mom is but for those of you who do not, a monster mom is when a mom is done and just wants to get through to her children without strangling them, so she surrenders to her frustration which leads to eyes bulging, face reddens, the voice takes on an almost demonic tone and the arms start wailing in all directions. After I placed the kids in a very close proximity time out and finished with my monster mom moment of threatening the kids that they will stay home all week and we will do nothing but chores, I decided that they needed to be forced out of their funk and back into the realm of liking one another and tolerating the other's presence. So I got some yarn and tied them to each other. They were connected at the wrist and had to spend the morning using their (long forgotten) words to work together to eat breakfast and so forth. Once I saw that they were buddies again I cut the yarn showing them that the yarn had shortened and reminded them that the next time they got into the fighting funk they would be tied to each other that much closer.
Ah yes parenting is so much fun... so much fun I think I need a vacation.


Comments

Brown Eyed Girl said…
Aww Yes... I am very familiar with this technique.. My aunt Cathy tied me and Richie (my cousin) together for an entire day.. Tied together through his dentist appt. both of us using the restroom, eating, sleeping and we've been close ever since.. Yes, Fond Memories of Monster Auntie. We still laugh about this time in our lives till this day.. My favorite was the dentist appt... :0) Can't image what the dentist was thinking..
Ha, ha, you are so smart...it's kind of like the time Dad made up hold bottle caps in our teeth to make us stop laughing...
Brown Eyed Girl said…
Rachel, read this entry from my cousin's wife, Kristie..

http://z007mom.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-is-it-that-everyday-is-one-of-those.html