Damn TV commercials

I just need to get this off of my chest....
I hate commercials, kinda like I hate how they put the candy and the junk food at the end of every aisle in the grocery store, right at kid's eye level, but that is a whole other ventilation session.

Anyhow I physically cringe when it is commercial time. The kids become under the voodoo trance of "oh I want that, oh no I NEED that." I am talking about items that they do not even know what they are or would know how to use them, for example: a foot scrubber that peels of the dead skin on your heal.
Well after getting through years of shut downs and flat out nos, the kids do not even ask me any more for the coveted items they see on the tv. Oh No they know better now, so what do they do? Well now they will sit there and scrutinize every commercial and then negotiate between themselves, pausing the tv for fear of missing something while they figure out how to get the item. Such negotiations went as follows this morning:

Leah "Sam can you get me that for my birthday?"

Sam "Well if I get that for your birthday then you have to get me one for mine"

Leah "but your birthday is not soon and I will forget what you wanted and you will want something different by the time it is your birthday and my birthday is soon and I really want it"

Sam " ok but you have to share it with me and get a green one cause I like green and so do you but you really like pink but I do not like pink and I do not want to use it if it is pink. I will use it if it is green or blue but not if it is pink or purple"

Leah "SAM those Barbie dresses do not come in green or blue only pink and purple and it is a girl toy and if I get it for my birthday than it is mine and I do not have to share it at first cause it is a birthday present"

Un-pausing the tv and moving onto the next commercial....

Leah "oh I want that for my birthday, that would be so cool, but it says that you have to be 18 years or older to buy it" (I just have to say I love these commercials that say you have to be 18 or older to call in and order the coveted item... the kids think you have to be 18 or older to have those wonderful coloring pens, or traveling art set)

Sam "Ok we could share those and make a bunch of pictures and stuff so when I be 18 I will get that for your birthday"

Leah *rolls eyes with a loud sigh* " Sam I am going to be 18 before you so I can buy it before you and when I am 18 I also get to have a boyfriend so I am going to want to color with him"

Yep those commercials are having a negative affect on the family, placing a boyfriend ten years from now between a sister and her brother"s coloring time. I suppose what makes this all so interesting is that they sit there and do it every day, and each day is anew, never a mention of the list of items from the day before and never a mention of the reality of how they are going to pay for their matching set of, three easy payments of 60 each, helicopters.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thats so funny Rachel, even in Iceland. Muna and Jen