Birthdays and an epidemic of broken hearts

Leah is now 8 years old and I can hardly believe it. If she had not reminded me for the last year that she was going to be 8 on July 23 2008 I just might have overlooked that my first baby is now 8 and growing up so fast. The excitement of her birthday has consumed the house or at least Leah which radiates her excitement and explodes it on everyone that she encounters. For her birthday breakfast I gave her the choice of picking out her own cereal (tradition) or going for doughnuts, Sam had his physical at 9. Well she chose doughnuts and much to my horror they chose chocolate doughnuts, with chocolate filling and chocolate chips on top and to wash it down... chocolate milk. It was a chocolaty sugar explosion on their system and the effects of it did not hit me till we had been in the doctors exam room waiting for an hour. I felt like I needed someone to boink me on the head saying, "genius forethought mom." Sam was a perfect patient.... making up for driving his mom to the point of asking the nurse for anything that will calm her nerves or remove her children. He did great on the eye exam, stating all the shapes including the "grand old flag", covered his eyes as asked, first one and then the other, which in his mind meant both of them. He was very eager to show how brave he is and did not cry when they took his blood or gave him his four shots although his voice did take on a very high pitch as he was counting while they gave him the shots. After all the bravery he showed at the doctors he has come down with an epidemic of broken heart syndrome. Leah who with eager pride places herself as the center of attention and all activities cause it is her birthday has been the leader in contaminating Sam. The cries of unbelief that Leah could break his heart on her birthday was enough to break his heart some more.
So here is a Mother's shout out for Leah turning 8, Happy Birthday Hunny, I love you so much and if anyone knows a remedy for broken hearts I would appreciate it as Sam is walking around clutching his chest crying out that Leah broke his heart cause she said that he could not have a girls goodie bag at her birthday but had to have a boy's one.









Here is Leah on her new birthday bike which is "soooo what she wanted"

Comments