At a lost


Today the kids and I were talking about if we had super powers what they would be. Mine would be to know what to do with my kids. This week has left me feeling at a complete lost as to how to raise my kids.. Sam in-particular. On Thursday I got the phone call from his teacher, who seemed out of breath, that I have to come and get Sam from school right away! When I arrived Sam, Ms. Pam (his teacher of two years at the preschool) and Grandma were awaiting me by the exit gate. Fighting the urge to just wave and keep driving, I pulled up and got out to find out to my horror that Sam had exploded at school cause he could not be first in line for recess. Now most children will have fits and are prone to act out when they do not get their way and then there is Sam and when I say exploded I am not putting it lightly. He hit and kicked his teacher than broke free from her and ran out the two gates to the outside of the school premises and onto the street, sending his poor teacher in a running marathon after him. As Ms. Pam is telling me what happened I looked at her and in that moment I knew that Sam had gone and sent his preschool teacher of 15 years into an emotional state of shock and disturbance. She just started crying, the kind of cry that occurs only after you have gone through an intense fear driven adrenaline rush only to have the reality hit you and the only escape for your feelings is through tears. My heart broke, it broke over the fact that this magnificent sweet lady was going through this heartache and the fact that my son had done it to her. Lets just say the consequences were intense and many. Grandma came after school and took Emma and Leah to the park and the farmer's market, where Leah exclaimed, "they got to get cherries, poisenberries, plums and orange and yellow things and Sam did not get to have any cause he got expunded from school." The story of Sam's awful behavior keeps going but I am really blogging to reach out for any advise. So far I have gotten, "just pray" well thank you but I need something a little more practical not that I am saying praying for my son is not good but really how do I raise him up and not have the heartache that occurs after his terrible choices. Any suggestions on how to reach through to the most stubborn, defiant little kid I have ever met?And the thing about this particular kids is that I am head over heels in love with him and if I do not show him how to just be a delight and to make the conscious choice to not break his teacher and mother's hearts than he just might turn out ok and not have to pay out for his mother's therapy classes when he is older. 
Have a great weekend everyone... I am off to a baby shower (with no kids) :) 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry Rachel! What an ordeal!
You poor mommy!
April said…
HI Rachel,
I am Jennifers friends, and only know you by "association, but love reading your Mommy and kid trial blogs!As the Mom of an (newly)18 yr old son and (almost)17 yr old daughter,..only 15 months apart, I have learned the job is repeatedly wonderful and heartbreaking,..over and over and over again. My experience of trial and error(it's a learning experience for parents too)is that you make sure they know you love them with all your heart, keep having consequences for poor choices (no matter how much they kick and scream),keep a standard, and then let them choose.It is exhausting,but I will always be crazy about them. That seems to cover a multitude of hard days. SO for what it's worth, listen to those around you that have "been there, done that". Jennifer has always been a great sounding board and encourager! USE her!
~April