Time Out







So our darling, one year old Emma went for her first time out today. This last week I have been wondering if one is too young to go for a time out and this morning she finally pushed me to the point of testing my theory. Since she was sick and then the move she has become ever more so attached to me, wanting just to be held. She will play fine as long as she does not see me but the minute she spots me then she lets out her screech and will follow me around crying at my feet until I pick her up. IT HAS DRIVEN ME NUTS! Anyway this morning as I was folding laundry on my bed she was at my feet crying and so I picked her up placed her in the middle of the dog bed and said, "Emma you are in time out" and turned around to continue folding. The look in her eyes said she knew exactly what I was talking about ( maybe seeing me place Leah and Sam in time outs everyday). Well she cried for about 20 seconds and then sat there very quiet. I turned around to see her beginning to crawl off the dog bed at which point I said, "Emma you are not off of time out." She did a full 180 and sat right back down where I had originally placed her, with just the tiniest little peep escaping from her pouting mouth. Less than a minute later I got down to her level, without touching her, said, "Emma I put you in the time out because your behavior was unacceptable" the whole time I am talking she is sitting there very still and avoiding eye contact, yet as soon as I said come give me a hug, she extended her arms and smiled at me. So my conclusion is Yes one is not too young for time outs, Emma knew exactly what it was all about and hopefully now I will not cringe with fear every time my darling one year old spots me.
A little about the pictures: Grandma and Emma in our back yard. The view of our house from our back yard. The cousins Alex and Emma (who really hate being near each other) finally found some common ground with Emma's truck... Alex enjoyed the ride and Emma loved pushing him, they could have done it all night. And finally the sunrise I get to enjoy from my living room window every morning thanks to my early rising children.

Comments

Brown Eyed Girl said…
The whole story about the time out is awesome!!! Alex watch out!.. Great photos. Love Lacey
Anonymous said…
What a funny story.
Emma and Alex look so cute together.
They are both so adorable!!
Brooklyn is also now serving time outs :) She knows right where the chair is and Ethan all to often will let me know that he thinks she needs a time out.