Sad news

So admits the nervous joy of putting an offer on our first house I got a phone call from Lacey this morning saying that Ian's grandpa (Papa) passed away this morning. It was not unexpected since his health has been on the decline and he was placed in a hospice but it is sad just the same. When I met Papa, he was beginning to suffer from all timers and it progressively got worse as time went on to the point of having to re-introduce myself whenever I re-entered the room. He always had a great sense of humor and was very quick witted, he just did not remember where he was or who we were. My most outstanding thoughts of Papa was his delight in the kids. He loved being with them and would loose himself in their world. One day while at Jen's house Sam was throwing a fit and Papa told Sam to come and sit on the porch with him. Five minuets later Sam is sitting on Papa's knee quiet and calm as can be coloring with Papa. I think the saddest thought for me is this is the man that Ian said when he was a kid that he wanted to be when he grew up. Any desire in Ian to drive and travel is his Papa in him and any time you hear Ian say ma'am or sir is his Papa talking. Ian's approach to life, that life has a way of working itself out is directly imitated from his Papa and the million other little things that makes Ian who he is and directly contributes to the million reasons that I love him are the everlasting continuing influence of Papa on our lives and for these reasons I love Papa and will miss him dearly. I am grateful that Ian had a Papa that help create the man that I am married to and that I had the privilege of meeting and getting to know Papa even if it was only the shell of the man that he was... I fell in love with the shell. We love you Papa and will miss you.

Comments